Tesco announce closure of Bearwood store

Tesco has announced they are to close their store on Bearwood Road. The closure, one of 43 shops Tesco are closing across the country, is the latest blow to that stretch of shops in the shopping centre. The whole block from Anderson Road to Adkins Lane is currently in administration after the owners went into receivership. This has led to a situation where vacant shops where the lease has expired or the business has stopped trading, have not been able to be let.

Richard Marshall from Bearwood Traders said, “This is depressing news really. Just as the £5 million pound transformation of Lightwoods Park and House is about to get underway, we suffer another body blow on Bearwood Road. We can only hope the administrators sort out this ownership issue as soon as possible and we can start to see the shops being let again.

“Our thoughts at this time are with the people who are likely to lose their jobs” Richard added.

The Tesco Chief Executive Dave Lewis said…

“In January I announced that our performance as a business has fallen significantly short of where we would want it to be and that to protect the future of the business in the UK we would close 43 unprofitable stores.

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that our Bearwood Express is one of the 43 we plan to close. The decision to close the store has been exceptionally difficult to take. I recognise it will affect many hard working colleagues, our customers and the local community.

Our priority is to explain what this announcement means for our colleagues and wherever possible, offer them alternative roles with Tesco. I would like to thank all our customers who have shopped in our store.

Tesco are also closing their store in the Tollhouse Precinct in Smethwick.

9 Responses to Tesco announce closure of Bearwood store

1. Polly81 says:

This is very sad news. A quick chat with the staff at the checkout in the Bearwood store always set me up for a long day at work.
    I wish them all the best.

2. Dave Marsh says:

Bearwood high street is really suffering there’s not much left at the top of the town now.

3. Paul says:

Was suprised by this as it always had a good number of customers when I was in there. I thought the one on Hagley Road may be under pressure, but not Bearwood Road. The top end of the road will look very poor now… more cars parked on the pavement? Thoughts with the people who work there…. hopefully this isnt ‘cast in concrete’ as a decision.

4. I did not realise that administration was the problem with these vacant shops. Unfortunately, my expertise was not in commercial law and leases, so I do not feel able to proffer any useful suggestion, merely to regret another failure in Bearwood.

5. Smithy says:

M&S Food outlet would be ideal takeover,i try not to go as far as tesco even if my lottery ticket blew up the road,bit of a dump !!!

I always thought they concentrated too much on crisps and pop to get the Lordswood school trade, (which succeeded in putting the newsagent next door out of business) but I doubt that made it sustainable for a shop of that size.