Making Mayday even better

Plans are currently underway for this year’s Bank Holiday Mayday Festival in Lightwoods Park. Last year a staggering crowd in excess of 20,000 people turned up and we had fabulous weather, live music, Sandwell’s Strongest Man, tug-of-war, a fun fair, a beer festival and community stalls, plus much much more.

What do you think we could do to make the festival even better? (yes, we know we need more toilets and better parking enforcement) but we are looking for ideas to improve or enhance what was already a fantastic success for Bearwood.

You can leave your suggestions here, or add them to the Facebook Pages at Enjoy Bearwood or the Lightwoods Park or Bearwood pages.

P1000886

21 Responses to Making Mayday even better

1. It was a fantastic day. It would be great if it could go on a little bit later and then finish with a firewok display like they do at other events I go to in Nottingham and Stratford-upon-Avon. Im really looking forward to it. Maybe we all need to pray to the powers that be for a repeat with the weather as well

2. Keith Bracey says:

Great idea for a firework display Sandra….I did 9 hours in the Real Ale Tent last year….willing to do the same again or does Bearwood Traders Richard Marshall have other plans for my undoubted talents (chorus of …..’Ole Big Ed is back!) Yours in Bearwood

Keith Bracey
    Greensward Enterprise
    Oldbury
    Nr Birmingham

3. julie anderton says:

What about a Car Boot Sale, there is plenty of room..x

4. Lorna says:

It was a fantastic day, I am glad the toilets has been mentioned. Would be great to see some more local, handmade products on sale. Queues for food and drink were also an issue, although I appreciate these probably increased due to the weather. More of the same please!

5. penkey2013 says:

Maybe local craft makers/cooks/tradesman can show off skills to boost reputation and trade?

6. Janine Phillips says:

Hi
    We had a wonderful time!
    You were blessed with the weather after such a long hard winter, and this was the first bank holiday when the sun shone and you benefitted from people wanting to enjoy the sun and not travel !! Bear in mind this may not be the case this year and it may hiss it down!!
    My constructive comment as a nan of 5 is
    Kids love to be face painted and despite valiant efforts from my wonderful friends there was not enough of it to keep the queue down.
    So more face painting please and quick fix creative activities to keep the under 5’s happy .
    Hope the sun shines this year !!
    Janine

So true about the weather Janine. The biggest risk this year could be overestimating demand and ordering too much. Good point about the face painting

7. Are there any places for stall holders, if so who do I contact, Bead Savvy would love to attend 😉

8. june says:

would like details on having a stall should you have craft stall. there is a big crafting community in bearwood

9. Dean Painter says:

hi bob, i from the 22nd birmingham boys brigade & GA, can you email details on organsing a stall and prices ect please?
    many thanks from the brigade team

10. lisa walton says:

hi ya, I would like details on having a stall please, im a jewellery maker.

11. Stevie Maiden says:

Bob, I’d be really interested in having a stall at your event. Maidens Fayre, I always find the local community so supportive at events like Bearwood Shuffle & Picnic in the Park

12. James Gieron says:

I’m a promoter of 50’s and 60’s garage rock n roll and would love to get involved in putting bands on for your event this year.. I have just moved back to Bearwood and live on Herbert Road and I would happily help out… Pm me if you woul like me to get involved… ?James… Club Primitive….

13. Lou Woodward says:

It was a great day, live music was fab, needs more local businesses though instead of ones from around Birmingham we have all we need in bearwood and Smethwick, Also live dance give the youngsters a chance to show off bear woods local talents it would be great to have sapphire dance studios perform as they’re local studio, then they could get everyone up having a go at some routines as they teach all different dance styles and dance fitness that would be fun

Lou Woodward