Car Parking charges

Regular readers of the Bearwood e-Bulletin may remember that a couple of months ago I called on the Council’s Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods to review the car parking charges on the Bearwood bus station car park, with a view to getting rid of the charges altogether.

Well, today I can confirm a success – of a kind!

In a report going from officers to the Cabinet Advisory Team for Neighbourhoods meeting this Friday the Cabinet Member is being urged to not only review the car parking charges – but to double them!!!

Well that should be a resounding success. The picture above was taken at 11.am on a Monday morning. Two cars are crammed on to the bus station car park! If the fees are doubled, we might actually be able to clear the space entirely and send even more cars on to the already crowded residential streets.

11 Responses to Car Parking charges

1. Pat says:

There’s nothing wrong with the car parking charges at Bearwood bus station – most people would give their eye teeth to park anywhere for 20p per hour – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Obviously officers’ attention has been drawn to the privileged lifestyle we have in Bearwood and they’ve decided to ‘soak the rich’…

2. Deborah says:

I find that little car park useful at times. I don’t mind paying 20p, or even 40p, for the privilege of parking. It would cost a lot more than that to drive to Merry Hill.

My point was that the car park is not being used, and people are parking in the streets making it more difficult for residents to park. For the sake of 20p – or 40p – that hardly seems worthwhile.

3. Deborah says:

I’m dubious whether 20p or even 40p will discourage people from parking there, to be honest. If people park on the high street and the residential streets around it, they must have good reason to do so, and they do so because they can. The only answer is a resident parking scheme, and if it is such a big problem I can’t see why we haven’t got one, but perhaps there is a good reason for that too.

4. Leigh says:

Doubling the charges would be madness. People don’t park there now because they have to pay 20p. Increasing the charge would mean even less people use the facility. Make it free but restrict it to no more than 1 or 2 hrs parking. Surely we have enough traffic wardens in Bearwood to monitor this?!

5. Deborah says:

Oh. Well, that seems a bit at odds. I thought you said on here recently that there was a parking scheme on Poplar Road and you were recommending that people park there during the day to visit the high street.
    In fairness, it does not affect me as I practically never drive into Bearwood because I live very close by, but it would be interesting to know what those coming from further afield think.

I have no idea what you think it is “at odds” with. There is an evening/nighttime residents parking scheme, and plenty of spaces in the daytime. But as someone who complained that parking was difficult in Bearwood to say “I practically never drive into Bearwood because I live very close by” perhaps I should suggest you are not being entirely consistent yourself.

6. Deborah says:

Mmmmm – are you therefore saying that self-interest is the only legitimate stance for complaint? Is it not possible to be concerned about an issue that does not affect me personally? That seems rather strange. As I say, I would be interested to hear what people coming from further afield have to say.
    You seem to be suggesting on the one hand that the residents’ parking scheme on Poplar Road works well, and on the other hand that residents do not want parking schemes.

Mmmmm, no, you are perfectly welcome to comment on anything you wish, but to say I must have to park sideways cease there are no parking spaces, when I am telling you there are plenty of parking spaces, means you are not exactly making an informed comment.

I haven’t “suggested” anything of the sort. The residents of Poplar, Drayton, Anderson and Wattis Road voted for a scheme, other residents who were balloted said they didn’t want one. Simple, really.